In ThriveTalks episode four, Trevor Brown, VP Employer Partnerships at ThriveAP, discusses the experience levels and qualities that make an advanced practice provider an ideal candidate to participate in an APP Fellowship or transition to practice program.
We are often asked how organizations that leverage our curriculums, or are trying to develop their own program, select which of their advanced practice providers should be included in a program or would make the best candidate. While that is entirely up to the organization, we have found 10 attributes that have proven successful when identifying APP fellowship or transition to practice program participants since launching our transition to practice curriculums in 2012.
10 Attributes of an Ideal APP Candidate
Read the ThriveTalks Episode 4 Transcription
Today we are going to discuss the 10 ideal attributes of an ideal candidate for an APP transition to practice program. It can be a general transition to practice program for greater onboarding, a fellowship or even a residency. I am going to focus on two specific categories of attributes that we are looking for in APP candidates.
- Experience Level
- Innate Qualities
We are often asked who should be involved in these types or programs, we want to help narrow down what that list might look like for your organization.
- Candidates with less than five years of clinical experience
- APPs who are switching specialties and potentially have less than five years in that particular specialty
- RNs that are moving into APRN in the same setting
- Providers with greater than ten years of experience who are looking to refresh or hone their skills
Regardless of experience there are qualities that are important for APP participants to possess.
- Collaborative: open to collaboration with other providers within the clinic
- Eager to Learn: to gain the highest return on the program they should be excited at the opportunity to learn and actively participate
- Motivated: driven and enthused to improve themselves and the profession
- Dedicated to Educational Experiences: transition to practice programs involve time spent honing skills and developing your practice, it requires dedication and a true passion
- Hardworking: it goes without explaining that the best candidates for any benefit will be those that will put in effort and work to leverage the advantage to its fullest potential
- Benefit from Additional Development: potentially APPs that are struggling in a new environment or could benefit from a one-on-one approach to development
What to Look for in an APP Fellowship
Now that you are able to build the persona for your advanced practice providers in your organization it is paramount to understand what to look for in a transition to practice program. These enhanced educational experiences:
- Develop practical skills in an evidence-based manner
- Advance knowledge application in a clinical setting
- Empower provider confidence
- Integrate APPs into their career more proficiently
- Improve the delivery of patient care
- Develop safer providers
- Impact career satisfaction, leading to increased retention and decreased recruitment costs
Discover the 7 Things to Look for in an APP Fellowship or Transition to Practice Program
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *